Monday, March 12, 2018

Teen Becomes A Quadriplegic After Swallowing Garden Snail

From: Paul K.
Sent: March 12, 2018
To: undisclosed recipients
Subject: Fw: Teen Becomes A Quadriplegic After Swallowing Garden Snail



A 19-year-old rugby player in Australia swallowed a garden slug during a drunken dare. The slug was infected with the rat lungworm parasite, causing the teen to develop a serious brain infection. Eight years later, the dare has left the teen a quadriplegic, and now the Australian government has cut his medical financial aid.

Sam Ballard unknowingly swallowed a slug infected with the parasite Angiostrongylus cantonensis, also known as the rat lungworm, The Daily Telegraph reported. The parasite caused Ballard to develop a serious brain infection called eosinophilic meningoencephalitis.

Ballard fell into a coma for 420 days and upon waking up was no longer able to use his limbs and required a feeding tube. The now 27-year-old requires constant care and attention. In September, his mother Katie Ballard received a text message from the Australian government informing her that they would be cutting his financial aid, Fox News reported.


Teen Who Ate Garden Slug on a Dare Contracted Parasite and Is Now ...
5 days ago - Eight years later, the dare has left the teen a quadriplegic, and now the Australian government has cut his medical financial aid. Sam Ballard unknowingly ... In rare cases, humans can also become infected by eating snails and slugs that are carriers for rat lungworm larvae. Human lungworm infections are ...

Australian Teen Left Quadriplegic After Swallowing Garden Snail as a ...
Sam Ballard, an aspiring rugby player from Sydney, Australia, was left quadriplegic after swallowing a garden slug as a dare. ... The teen didn't give this silly dare a second thought, but he soon fell ill and had to be taken to the hospital, where doctors discovered that he had become infected with rat ...

Teen who swallowed garden slug fights government
SAM Ballard, a strapping rugby player who became disabled after swallowing a garden slug as a dare, is now fighting the Government. ... IN 2010 at a mate’s party, strapping 19-year-old rugby player Sam Ballard swallowed a garden slug as a dare. ... Sam, from Sydney’s north shore, fell ...



Hang Out With Us:
Facebook Page
Pinterest Page
YouTube Page

Care to show your support?
Give us some love at Amazon.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment below and tell the world what you think.

You might also like:

Stumble It!

Follow Us By Email