Thursday, July 11, 2019

FDA cautions Sweetener found in nut butters, sugarless gum can be deadly for dogs

From: Jon M.
Sent: July 11, 2019
To: undisclosed recipients
Subject: Fw: FDA cautions Sweetener found in nut butters, sugarless gum can be deadly for dogs


Video


Thank you Jon for sharing this article from USA Today. I'm sure a lot of dog owners will be glad they saw this article.

https://www.mycrazyemail.net/2019/07/fda-cautions-sweetener-found-in-nut.html


While xylitol isn't dangerous to humans, it can be deadly to dogs. It's used in foods such as nut butters and sugar-free desserts, including "skinny" ice cream. Chewable vitamins, mouthwash and toothpaste may also contain the sweetener.

The warning came along with a video that cautioned dog owners to check the label of any human food or treats they are planning on giving their dog to make sure it doesn't include xylitol.

The FDA encourages pet owners to keep items out of your dog's reach. For example, if you keep gum in your purse, make sure your bag is put where your dog can't get to it. If you keep toothpaste on your bathroom counter, make sure your dog isn't able to hop up and reach it.

"Today’s Consumer Update and video are designed to increase awareness among dog owners that xylitol can be dangerous and deadly, and that dogs who eat it need immediate veterinary care," FDA spokesperson, Lindsay Haake told USA TODAY in an email.



Foods that can contain xylitol include:

breath mints
Sugarless gum
baked goods
cough syrup
children’s and adult chewable vitamins
mouthwash
toothpaste
some peanut and nut butters
over-the-counter medicines
dietary supplements
sugar-free desserts, including "skinny" ice cream

759 other people have enjoyed reading "A Grocery Store's Plan To Shame Customers Into Using Reusable Bags Backfired."

The list isn't exhaustive of all the foods that contain xylitol, so make sure to check the label on any human foods or treats that you're giving to your dog. If you suspect that your dog has eaten xylitol, get them to the vet or animal hospital immediately. Signs of xylitol poisoning include:

vomiting
seizures
coma
weakness
difficulty walking or standing
depression or lethargy
tremors

According to the FDA, symptoms of xylitol poisoning can occur within 15 to 30 minutes and deaths have occurred in as little as an hour.

Source: USA Today

Need more information? Ask Google.


Hang Out With Us:



Never Miss A Crazy Email!

Enter your email address:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. Leave a comment below and tell the world what you think.

You might also like:

Question? Topic? Just Ask.

Name

Email *

Message *

Never Miss A "Crazy Email" Subscribe